As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are shopping around for a new iSUP, congratulations! You will soon be paddling your way to your bliss. However, you first have to find a quality stand up paddleboard that meets your needs and expectations.
In this article, we will go in-depth to review one of the most popular iSUPs on the market: the THURSO SURF Waterwalker. Stay tuned to see if this is the board of your dreams or if you should keep looking.
Table of Contents
THURSO SURF Waterwalker
In terms of build quality, the Waterwalker does not disappoint. This THURSO SURF paddleboard features double layer construction. The core is PVC coated drop-stitch. The outside is tarpaulin double coated with PVC for increased strength, power, and durability.
The tarpaulin sides are reinforced in 2 places to increase performance. The sides and deck of the board are coated with a military grade PVC. Even the deck pad is quite nice. It’s always grippy and never slippery – even when wet! Not to mention how soft it is!
Despite the layers of PVC, this board is very lightweight. In fact, the smaller SUP is 24 pounds and the 11-foot is a measly 26 pounds. Anyone old enough to paddle on their own should be strong enough to carry the Waterwalker.
A final word needs to be said on the build quality of the paddle. In terms of weight, the carbon design makes it one of the lightest at 2 pounds. It even floats! It is highly adjustable – between 68 to 84 inches – and comes apart in 3 pieces for easy carrying and storage.
The Waterwalker comes in 2 different lengths: 10 feet 6 inches or 11 feet. The width, thickness, and weight capacity vary depending on which length you choose.
- 10 feet 6 inches: This board is 31 inches wide and 6 inches thick with a volume of 250 liters. That’s great news because it can hold up to 380 pounds at 20 psi! At 15 psi, the Waterwalker can hold 280 pounds.
- 11 feet: The longer THURSO SURF is 32 inches wide and 6 inches thick with a volume of 300 liters. The weight capacity is a whopping 450 at 20 psi. This stand up paddleboard can still hold 330 at 15 psi.
One of the coolest features of this paddleboard is the removable fins. The Waterwalker uses quick lock technology to secure the clips around the fins. You don’t need any tools to do this, so you can make the change anytime during your adventure.
The different configurations have different effects. If you choose to attach all 3 fins, you will have a more stable journey. Only 1 in the center, and you will be able to glide through the water faster.
Even the deck pad adds to stability. It is an EVA traction pad that offers comfort while keeping you in place. Seriously, you will stay put on this soft deck. For those of you new to the sport, we recommend always using the 10-foot coiled leash that THURSO SURF includes.
Speaking of speed, the Waterwalker gets mixed reviews. Some users say it is slower than they would have expected. Despite the fact that it has adopted some aspects of the touring paddleboard, this THURSO SURF is still an all around SUP with limitations.
Another aspect to think about when it comes to speed is the paddler’s skill. If you have been at this activity for a long time and have developed your skills, you will be able to move faster on any board. Don’t discount the Waterwalkers ability to perform.
This board is decently maneuverable. It won’t win any awards, but it won’t disappoint the average user. Remember, the larger the board the less the maneuverability. Anyone that wants to get in narrow waterways would do good to find a smaller board.
That being said, most people that paddleboard do so in wider spaces. The main exception to this would be fishing. A greater degree of movement may be needed to navigate the skinny waters of rivers and canals.
- Paddling with Pets or Children – Since the weight limit is so high on both lengths, the Waterwalker is a perfect choice for taking out pets or teaching children. On the 11-foot, you can even bring another adult along to help paddle!
- Going the Distance – This stand up paddleboard is great for traveling long distances. Why? The design is a mix between traditional all around iSUPs and touring boards. This way, you have the benefits of both that allow you to go the distance!
- Rough Excursions – This THURSO SURF is extremely strong due to its quality building materials. Take it onto rocky beaches and into surf without worrying about dings or other damage. Many say it’s as good as an epoxy SUP. Hint: we do!
- Beginner or Intermediate – We recommend this stand up for beginner or intermediate paddleboarders. Anyone just learning or looking to increase their skills would get good use out of this board. More advanced paddlers should look elsewhere for more speed.
- Carbon shaft adjustable paddle
- 3 removable quick lock fins for 2 different configurations
- Manual pump to inflate AND deflate the board
- Coiled leash
- Waterproof cell phone holder
- Water resistant cooler bag that holds up to 10 canned beverages
- Backpack for carrying the deflated iSUP – includes torso straps and back support
- Great customer service record
- Comfortable paddle handle
- High-quality construction – feels like a solid board
- Easy to store
- No instruction manual included
- Manual pump gets exhausting
- Bottom of paddle falls off. Note: This was a problem for THURSO SURF for a while. However, they have redesigned their paddle and it no longer has this issue.
Ultimately, the decision on which SUP to purchase is your own. However, we recommend the THURSO SURF Waterwalker for anyone that wants stability, quality, higher weight capacity, the ability to take on rough terrain, and long distance capabilities.
With a full 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, you can feel confident you are getting the bang for your buck.
Would you recommend the THURSO SURF Waterwalker?
Why or why not? We want to hear your take in the comments below!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.